Saturday, June 14, 2008

Context

It's fascinating to me to think of context. The movie The Sixth Sense is a good example of how the revelation of a context can make things fit together in a way not previously considered. It also explains things which before seemed like isolated occurrences.

It seems like these moments of discovery are best had after a long period of subtle clues that are sometimes not even recognizable.

Occasionally I see those kinds of moments in my own life, where things start to make sense in a new way. It reminds me of a passage in the book of Isaiah (55:8-11):
For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord.
For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.
For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater:
So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.
It seems to me that a perfect Father, our Heavenly Father, would have fun in helping His children learn lessons and grow and receive blessings in a variety of ways. If we can assume that He can see the end from the beginning and has all knowledge independent of what we know, along with the pure love of a perfect Father for His children, then it's kind of a fun lifelong exercise of discovery for each of us.

It just makes me wonder sometimes - I am humbly grateful to see the vista and see how the mundane everyday steps have taken me there. I wonder sometimes what is around the next corner and it makes me want to keep trekking along a little further to get there.

No comments: