Sunday, June 15, 2008

Norse Mythology and Headaches

In the book So Long and Thanks for All the Fish, Douglas Adams writes in an odd character to give Arthur Dent a ride in the rain. In the ensuing conversation, Arthur finds out that the driver, Rob McKenna, has had a life of rainy days, literally. In kind of a silly side story, Adams writes:
And as he drove on, the rain clouds dragged down the sky after him for, though he did not know it, Rob McKenna was a Rain God. All he knew was that his working days were miserable and he had a succession of lousy holidays. All the clouds knew was that they loved him and wanted to be near him, to cherish him and to water him.
My Mother and I have a common ailment - we are prone to frequent headaches. We also found out through searching our family history that we are related to
one Oden who lived in a village called Valhalla, in Scandinavia around 400 AD.

This has led me to wonder about our heritage and how it might be that we have such frequent headaches - we might just be headache gods! All the headaches knew is that they loved me and wanted to be near me.

It might be cool to be descended from Oden, but I wish I had more useful super powers. Maybe it's just a matter of unlocking the dormant potential and really the headaches are just hidden energy waiting to burst forth when my powers have sufficiently matured. Hmmm. At least I have the sunshine :-).

No comments: